Friday 29 April 2011

Keith Geddes and the Royal Wedding

Paul Edie's blog entry from earlier this week -
I recall the Charles and Di wedding when I was much much younger! I spent it playing cricket for Holy Cross Third XI. I can't recall the opposition but I do recall that the team was captained by Keith Geddes, at the time an aging fast bowler who later morphed into the last leader of Lothian Regional Council and the first of the newly set up City of Edinburgh Council.
I  also can't recall if we won or not but I can categorically say that I was rubbish. Cricket is a very absorbing game when you get into it but I am afraid I learned too few strokes too late in life to be any good.
Seems a bit harsh to call Keith an aging fast bowler, except in the obvious sense that we're all aging all the time. Thirty years on, Mr Geddes is a very vigorous medium/medium-fast. Thirty years on, Mr Edie is a Liberal Democrat councillor here in Edinburgh. Further proof that the Cross is a broad church.

No comments:

Post a Comment