Monday 20 December 2010

World Pub Arm-Wrestling Championships - Bearded Cross Horticulturalist Victorious


As you will have noted, the editorial board's cunning plan to goad KF into resuming his reporting career (by announcing AJQ's appointment as Chief Test Match Cricket Correspondent) has worked and Keith has been in fine form.

This left us with the problem of how to retain Andrew's services. What plum assignment could he be given? What glamorous sporting event could he cover?

We scoured the sporting calendars but to no avail as the feeble winter sporties were flummoxed by a little snow and cancelled everything. (Cue memories of playing through the snow in a 1990s pre-season friendly against the University at Peffermill ...... ).

Then, as Mr Admin was finalising the arrangements for winter nets, inspiration struck - indoor sport. So Andrew was despatched to the borders of Stockbridge the Saturday before last, where he observed the following -
Last night I met up with a number of Holy Cross teammates for a drink in the St Vincent. Our most recently-acquired resident Aussie, Pat, had been drinking since 3pm, possibly in an attempt to numb the pain of being 1-0 down to the Poms in the Ashes.  I'm not sure it helped.  He repeatedly stated that on paper, the Aussie team is better than England's.  Cue raised eyebrows all round, and several discussions on mental strength vs talent, and how much easier it is to be mentally strong when playing in an outrageously talented team.  Highlight of the evening may well have been an arm-wrestling bout between Smudger and Shifty (see above), the prize being the captaincy of the first XI in 2012.  Not entirely sure whether the winner or loser got the prize...
Pat seems to be in good forecasting form. Perhaps we should add him to the roster too ......

6 comments:

  1. As a witness to this contest, all I can say is that:
    ...if only various English and South African batsmen had showed similar levels of determination in Perth ....then the Ashes would already have been retained....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I'm surprised no one was injured in this clash of the titans. Good job I left before it kicked off, I've not lost an arm wrestle since 1983,grrr, grrr, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your site, i find it very useful and it consists of very important and useful info related to cricket. You may also get info about online cricket match
    http://latestcricketmatches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bearded Cross should be our new name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. on the subject of indoor sport, did I show you my...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just received an e-mail from a nice chap in Cardiff - "Hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I have a hobby searching for and entering world championships. I am on 47 and counting. Whilst I was looking for new ones I came across a blog for the Holy Cross Cricket Club, and a post relating to the World Pub Arm-Wrestling Championships. Can you tell me if you are planning to hold the competition again. I am guessing, though, that this was a one-off competition. Cheers if you can help. Mark."

    ReplyDelete