Thursday 2 September 2010

KF on Scottish cricket (part 4 of a continuing series)

[The season may have finished but KF continues to do what he does best: smack balls over straight midwicket provide insightful commentary on the game].

For those of you who can't wait until the forthcoming Ashes commence for my insightful, innovative, thought-provoking and all round amazingly brilliant dissection of England's inevitable drubbing (the cricket media are doing the England football thing and declaring Ashes victory already, reality will bite by about lunch time on the first day of the First Test. Early prediction: panic call-up for Pietersen at 0-2), I'd like to take the opportunity of regurgitating a previous post from the soon to be if not already legendary 'KF on Scottish Cricket' series.
As I write this, I can hardly see the screen due to the sunlight beaming in through my window. The temperature outside is nearer 20 degrees, the breeze is light and, er, the cricket season has just finished.

Harking back to last December's scribble, here are some quotes.
"Come the end of August and into September, once the season has ended for most folk, its flip flop and barbecue time."
"I believe it's time to look at adjusting the season as I believe it starts and ends too early"
If cricket is played in the summer, and the season has just finished, and this is winter (humour me here please, there are no rules about internet posts having to be watertight), then I think we should begin playing Winter Cricket asap.
I'll leave it at that and will make sure I return to this subject every year at the same time. Now where did I put the suntan lotion (not in my effin cricket bag, that's for sure)?

......postcript by cje...

Lengthening the season is something I'd love to see happen - though those who share facilities with rugby/ football clubs would face difficulties.

Before Popey relates his stories of Yorshire cricket, I'll point out that the Sunday team I played for in Sheffield (Firvale CC) have their last fixture this season on Sept 19th.

From a groundsmanship point of view, one problem with playing into September would be the impact on post-season renovation of cricket squares (you need the new seed to germinate and establish itself before the temperature drops).

9 comments:

  1. for the moment yes.
    think that's the 1st time that KF has faced the criticism that his posts are too short ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought he'd passed out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. plus pres, surely better this sort of stuff than
    look-a-like features that bemuse rather than amuse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the British cricket side not already showing their concern by flicking KP....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chillax Prez man, I didn't realise my fans were after more, in fact, I was a touch concerned there weren't even any fans (Pope doesnt count, he's everyones buddy).

    Big Pat - Quite the opposite, the England & Wales & Ireland & (occasionally) Scotland & SA 2nd XI are so confident already, they think they don't need their best player any more. Better still, they're continuing their policy of mishandling their only special talent according to the unwritten rules to which everyone in the UK must adhere when dealing with Special One's. Dont give them an inch, criticise them and force them to retire early with as much of their promise unfulfilled as possible. For what its worth my assesment of KP's Eng career; picked late, promoted to captain too early, sacked crazily, singled out due to hair, Safrican-ness & because he's too good, and now finally punctured to the point I doubt he'll ever perform consistently at his best for England ever again. Saying that, if he was Pakistani, he'd probably be serving a life ban for something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Err .... Our three teams completed 52 of their 54 League games as scheduled this season, so not much wrong with this summer's weather. And remember that in 2008 the September weather was so bad that we had to postpone the Presidents Trophy until May 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thats 1-1 in the My September was wetter/drier than yours stakes. Cant wait to see what next year is like. How many games were played in 2008 to keep this non-scientific debate as scientific as possible?
    One small point of order, the September 2008 weather was atrocious in PENICUIK. You can ski all year round in the Pentlands (the Scottish Alps?), I suspect the weather down on the plains of the Costa Del Forth was much more amenable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is absolutely hosing it down here at the moment. All I can say is thank fudge there isn't any cricket this weekend. The season appears to be timed to run perfectly between the end of our long cold winter and the resumption of freak weather events in September. Well done to the fixture schedulers.

    ReplyDelete