Tuesday 5 May 2020

Colin 'Coco' McGill 1944-2020.

Really sad news that one of the great characters of Holy Cross ACC and East League cricket, Colin 'Coco' McGill, has died, aged 75.


A Crosser for over forty years, a swing bowler of guile, captain of the 2nds and 3rds, long-time match secretary, club statistician, umpire, groundsman, raconteur. A fierce competitor but a sporting man. Most of all, our friend. Arbo will not be the same without him and his tales of great exploits on and off the pitch..
Our thoughts will be with his Ann & his family.... and our minds full of improbable accounts of exploding trousers, virtual hatricks, Portobello Swimming Pool, Ray Joseph etc etc.
Personally he was something of a bowling mentor, teaching me how to swing the ball using legal techniques (though he introduced me to some alternative methods in the nets!). I fondly recall his friendly rivalry with my Dad, Ellis Snr-both keen to be the 3rds top wicket taker. McGill would chunter when taking a slip catch off Ellis Snr...'damn, you're 2 ahead now..I should've dropped it!'.



I last saw him at Hugh's funeral. Colin was uncharacteristically pessimistic about his health but still full of the classic tales. I'm glad I (along with Smudger) had one final pint with him that day-
in the Old Bell (where else!). 



1 comment:

  1. Having spent 40 years in military service and then ten years in Switzerland, it is with some regret that I did not manage to spend some time with my cousin Colin on my eventual return to Scotland. It was obvious that the club was a big part of his life and that he enjoyed all his positions he held within the establishment.
    Thank you all for being part of his life and for being one of his friends!
    Keep safe, Brian McGill

    ReplyDelete