Thursday 12 January 2012

CA's memorable moments

To commemorate CA's departure, it has been suggested that a list of his finest performances be placed on the HX blog. However another Crosser Bainbro has insisted that the focus should be on those moments which others will remember more vividly. As EC once commented, when CA is dismissed he looks completely baffled...as if the laws of physics had momentarily been suspended (something to do with Higgs boson??) or as if he'd had a black-out at the key moment. Some of the moments that Bainbro insisted I list include:

*On the Tour of 2000: getting dismissed lbw at Powerstock (was smacking it to all parts at the time after 1 hr in the nets with the Dr) then taking a trip to the local church-1/2 mile away- to reflect on the justice or otherwise of the decision.

*Making a 3ft by 2ft divot in the Glenrothes square after being dismissed in 2010-as recounted in the match report: 'Amid this collapse Calum played brightly and scored at a good rate. But, after missing with the same shot twice in the over, he tried to pull a short ball from Khan and was lb - at least he took it in good grace (I hope repairing the crater in the Glenrothes’ square won’t take too many hours/months…C. A. Smith clearly the early leader in the 'race' for the Bradley Trophy).'

* Blame the umpire!
Ranting after nicking a very wide delivery in a cup match in 2011. The previous delivery had been slightly wide (but correctly not wided by umpire Pickering)...CA went off complaining about Spick's umpiring: "you forced me to play at that one".. Spicker's reply: "No, but that one really was a wide".

*D'oh! Playing like Ian Bell on steroids at Freuchie, getting himself to 40 odd with a series of superb attacking strokes-holing out to a deep square leg who CA hadn't spotted being deployed....at the rate he was going he might well have broken the 1st XI record (132) in about 80 balls...

*CA misfields on the mid wicket boundary (turning a single into 4...)...who does he blame?...his brother for disturbing his concentration!

* Telling Robin off for not giving him NOT out lbw at Glenrothes in 2011.

* Berating the umpire at Carlton in 2011 regarding a run out decision..the umpire was at least 13..


Feel free to add your own CA memories.

STOP PRESS:
Another senior HX player KF insists this be mentioned:

'There was one, maybe v Fauldhouse at home when I was captain. KF/CA opened the batting and I got hit on the toe and was manfully persevering, hardly able to walk. I inside edge/padded one straight at square leg in the same over. As I tapped my bat down behind the crease I was startled as CA suddenly appeared by my side, all red faced and screaming YES!!! I replied 'no' and he made off for his second run to try to make it back, but, despite his obligatory full length dive, he didn't make it (I've watched Dougie try to run me out in this exact way too). I made sure I was well out his way as he walked off before getting myself out next over. The sensible thing, with hindsight, would have been to leave my crease once he arrived and sacrifice me, the injured player but I wasn't sure if the ump knew I'd nicked it or if it might have been given as a leg bye to extras so I stayed put'. 

2 comments:

  1. Charlie can you explain CA's run out during one midweek friendly match where you and CA opened the batting and a hilarious moment took place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Charlie can you explain CA's run out during one midweek friendly match where you and CA opened the batting and a hilarious moment took place'

    NO! in fact I can't readily recall that one-I've been involved in too many run-outs with members of that family...even ones caused by them when they weren't batting...!! Think you know which one I'm referring to there!

    ReplyDelete