Thursday 15 March 2012

The Perils of Orthodox Thought

Inventor of Jogging - Deid
This lunch time Sky Sports News report that;

"now to England's opening tour match in Sri Lanka, Stuart Broad sprained his ankle during the warm-up and he didn't take part".

Knock me down with a medicine ball. I feel like a 'Galileo of fitness' swimming hopelessly against the orthodox view here.

Is it really worth risking these pre-match injury attempts or so-called warm-ups??? Excuse me for asking, but if warming-up is logical shouldn't there be a warm-up before you warm-up? And a warm-up before that? I could go on.

When would we have time to sit down folks, when would we actually sit down?????

If these fitness know-all's with their physiotherapy degrees and swathes of data still cannot be swayed, I urge all the non-evidence based opinion formers to heed the harsh lesson (almost) learned by Mr Jim Fixx, the infamous 'inventor' of jogging and writer of 1977's best selling 'Complete Book of Running'. This book is credited with 'helping start America's fitness revolution' (72 million obese in a recent head count). Try not to choke on your deep fried Twinkie's!!!

In what is also a dagger to the heart of Mensa, of whom Mr Fixx was a member, the poor man died of a heart attack at the age of 52 ... after his daily jog!!!!!

As the untouchable Bill Hicks once opined on the demise of Mr Fixx, "Keith Richards is still alive".

Now of course, I'm not one of these types wot just criticises whilst offering no alternative. I was pure delighted with the revelation in a recent Horizon on the BBC (still available on iPlayer via this link) called 'The Truth About Exercise' which suggested that 12 minutes of exercise a month is perfectly adequate. Alack, too late for poor Jimmy Fixx!!!

Here are a couple of great quotes from stupidgymshit.com

"Over the years I've witnessed two people rupture their Achilles tendon by doing something as simple as running in place with a high knee action"

"You'd be surprised how many people suffer injuries during their warm-up" (er, no I wouldn't).

6 comments:

  1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17373797

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alec Stewart kept fit by playing cricket all winter. Knock me down with a medicine ball for the 2nd day running.

    I know he's not been injury free but would it be fair to say that McGill has missed fewer games through injury than anyone else in the club (at least in the last decade). I know he is the exception to many rules, but he'd be with Keef Richards at the head of my queue of evidence. "Explain this pair your honour". I'd then line up Owen Hargreaves & Kieron Dyer in the other 'round the clock, state of the art super-fit exercise is good for you' queue.

    Telling you, 12 mins a month!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frazerio,

      you'll note that I'm taking your advice this year:
      no pre-season practice...don't think I'll even bother with any throw-downs before the 1st game

      Delete
  3. Knowing you CJE you'll score a ton and take a 5 for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully Popestar...unless there's someone there noisily sledging me from slip...

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, one of my finer moments for EUCC well till Shanton bowled me for a golden....

    ReplyDelete